Thursday, July 03, 2014

Declaration of Dependence

A number of years ago as I approached the Fourth of July holiday I sat down to write my Declaration of Dependence.  Here is what resulted:

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one person to dissolve the bands of the enemy, the devil, which have subtlely, but surely bound them together, it is important to declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
          
The devil has deceived me into believing that God does not know what is best for me, therefore I doubt and question God’s Word.
The devil has deceived me into believing that I can live without daily communion with my Savior.
The devil has deceived me into believing that my sin isn't really very bad when compared to others.
The devil has deceived me into believing that compromise on spiritual issues is necessary if I am going to get along in this world.
The devil has deceived me into believing that I should possess whatever I desire.

          I therefore, a child of God by faith in Jesus Christ do, in the name of the Almighty God, who loved me and gave himself for me, solemnly publish and declare that I am, and ought to be free of my allegiance to the devil, and dependent upon God for my daily life.    As a dependent child of God I am free to pray, read God’s Word, and fellowship with other Christians.  I will endeavor to exercise these freedoms, rather than take them for granted.    And for the support of this Declaration, with firm reliance on God, I pledge to my heavenly Father my Life, my Fortune, and my sacred Honor.

No comments: