Monday, December 09, 2013

Carol-er or Carol-ee

Last night the staff and volunteers of Youth for Christ Chiang Mai came by the house to carol for us.  After serving them hot cocoa and popcorn they all prayed for us.  Later in the evening I thought about that a lot.  I can’t remember being caroled to in all my years of ministry.  I remember caroling many times.  What I don’t remember is being the one to whom the carols are being sung.

Even this trip to Thailand is very different.  Every trip outside the U.S. has been for the primary purpose of ministry. This trip is a vacation.  I keep waiting for Kristi to put us to work on something ministry-related.  So far, nothing.  And we leave late Thursday night.

What I am coming to realize is how much of my life has been on the giving side.  That is a privilege I do not take lightly or for granted.  Nor do I mention it so others can be impressed.  But I also realize that often I have not put myself in the place of being on the receiving side. It is an occupational hazard for those of us who are pastor-types (as Wil Regier refers to us).  And it is a hazard that can quickly become unhealthy.

It is true I was usually in a Life Group led by someone else.  I seldom taught Sunday School, but instead I participated as one among.  I did intentionally make sure not everything was led by me.  But my life has been characterized by giving and so I have become more familiar with giving than receiving.  And both are necessary aspects of walking with Jesus.  The life of faith is both giving and receiving from God and from others.

I always swore I ministered as one among and I hope to God that has been the primary experience, but I did realize after the carolers left that I am much more comfortable being a carol-er than a carol-ee.

No comments: