Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A 90 Minute Wait for a 60 Second Solution

Many of you know I’m helping my father during this transition from 65 years of marriage to being a single.  From living in northern Idaho to living in southern California.  From living independently to independent living.

Part of this process has been taking care of the paperwork related to mom’s death.  Changing account names and addresses, opening new accounts.  Yesterday I spent time talking on the phone with a very nice person from Social Security who helped us apply for mom’s death benefit.  During that conversation the person from Social Security mentioned mom’s date of death as January 27.  Mom died on January 28. When I pointed this out the person told me I would have to get that rectified before the death benefit could be deposited into dad’s account.  They don’t accept photo copies so she suggested I drop by the nearest office, take a number and, when called, show them the certified copy of mom’s death certificate so that the date could be changed. 

I did ask why I had to do this when they got it wrong.  She said maybe the mortuary gave them the wrong information or it was a typo, but either way it had to be rectified.  I asked what difference it made and she said all the numbers must match or no death benefit.  (When I discovered how small the death benefit was I almost cut my dad a check instead of waiting at the Social Security Office.  As you’ll soon read, that might have been the cheaper solution.)

This morning I arrived at the office in Fountain Valley.  The security guard was very helpful in getting me signed in so I could be issued a number.  90 minutes later I sat before a very nice woman who took approximately 60 seconds to make the changes on her computer screen.

A 90 minute wait for a 60 second solution.  A 90 minute wait for a 60 second solution that was caused by someone else.  A 90 minute wait for a 60 second solution that could be resolved in no other way.

As I drove away I could not help but ponder all the complexities of my life that have been caused by one act or decision, sometimes not even caused by me, and all the time it took to resolve or restore the situation.  Sharon and I have a Schliep-ism we use a lot.  “Sin complicates life.” 

Sometimes a brief act causes a lifetime of complexity.  A short sentence may sentence us to years of trying to restore a relationship.  One act can break trust to an extent that requires multiple acts to repair.  (As the Berenstein Bears point out it can never be fully repaired.  There is always some residual scar on the relationship.  I highly recommend “The Berenstein Bears and The Truth.”)

This is the world we live in for now.  A world where things can go so easily wrong.  God gives me hope that most relationships can be restored and situations can be repaired.  But not all. The apostle Paul wrote, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” (Romans 12:18 ESV)  Peter adds this, quoting from Psalm 34, “For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. (1 Peter 3:10-11 NLT)  That’s our challenge.  Search for peace, and work to maintain it.  It will probably take longer than 90 minutes.

3 comments:

Kerry Doyal said...

Another good word. Thanks.

Ken Warwick said...

Referencing the Berenstein Bears in this family of teachers and librarians will always win you a hearing Paul... always grateful for your writing and the thought behind it...

Paul Schliep said...

Thanks, Ken. They rank right up there with Mercer Mayer. Glad you enjoy the blog, too.